Konza prairie field trip image of lizard
Konza Field Trip for REU Students
Wednesday | June 29, 2022
For participants in the 2022 Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)  program funded by Kansas NSF EPSCoR
  • 8:30AM: Undergraduate students and their mentors from the University of Kansas conducting MAPS research will meet at Higuchi Hall to carpool to the Konza
  • 10:00AM: Arrive at Konza Prairie Biological Research Station and meet up with other MAPS researchers from Kansas State University and Wichita State University.
  • What to bring: a sack lunch, hat, sunscreen, water bottle, walking shoes
Professor Walter Dodds from Kansas State University led the group on a bison loop tour of the Konza. Unfortunately, the buffalo didn’t get the memo and failed to show up. Fortunately, there were lots of other gorgeous natural views to take in and learn about. For lunch, the group met up with Assistant Professor Zak Ratajczak and Associate Professor Ben Sikes.
“It was fun to meet with you all. I forget if I mentioned this, but how I became involved with Konza Prairie was as an REU student in 2009. It was a major turning point in my life that I feel fortunate for, so it’s great to see these programs running strong!”
Zak Ratajczak, Assistant Professor at Kansas State University